04 July 2010

Refreshing and Smooth – Chilled Baozhong

We’re finally catching up to Summer here in Seattle and will be expecting mid-70s weather for the next week or more.  There is finally some warmth for us to enjoy.

Ever since my Tieguanyin teacher let me try his cold-brewed green oolong a few years ago, I’ve been hooked on cold-brewing tea for warm weather.  Mmy favorite cold-brew teas are Baozhong and Oriental Beauty.  I prefer the former because it has a lighter and cleaner finish, but Oriental Beauty has a natural sweetness to it that hits the spot, too.

I typically go through 3 or 4 hot infusions and then I dump the leaves into a brewing mug or thermos.  To that, I add cold filtered water and then let the brew sit in the fridge overnight.  The next day, I’ll filter out the leaves and sometimes I’ll add a bit of honey.  This tastes way better than any bottled tea and you can re-use the leaves to cold-brew 1-2 more times.  Tasty stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your blog! Your passion for tea is impressive. Are you a chai tea fan? I'd love to send you some samples of Tipu's Chai tea, the best chai outside India!
    Just let me know if you'd be interested in giving it a try. It's organic, fair-trade and uses wind power to make the tea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete